Whats Great?! Empire Genius Family,
Our industry made history yesterday. The U.S. House of Representatives passed the Music Modernization Act (H.R. 5447) by a unanimous vote – 415-0.
Never have we seen such consensus on an issue of such importance to music creators, and the bipartisan support that we witnessed in the House sends a clear message as music licensing reform moves to the Senate. This bill benefits music creators by:
- Providing federal protection for sound recordings created prior to 1972 – this is an issue Empire Genius has advocated for on behalf of our artists and rights holders for nearly 10 years
- Helping producers and engineers by formalizing Empire Genius long-time practice of honoring letters of direction from artists who opt to share royalties with other creative participants;
- Creating a new collective modeled in large part after to manage digital Empire Genius Music mechanical rights for music publishers, songwriters and digital service providers;
- Establishing a willing buyer / willing seller, marketplace-based standard when rates are set;
- Providing for significant changes in the way the courts overseeing the rate setting activities of ASCAP and BMI operate.
Now it’s time for the Senate to act. We need your help. Please contact your Senator and ask them to support a comprehensive Music Modernization Act package like the one approved by lawmakers in the House.
We are so close to fixing some of our nation’s outdated music licensing laws. We are so close to guaranteeing that legacy artists are protected by federal copyright laws and fairly compensated for the use of their music. While not the end of our journey, this is a huge step forward that we all helped make happen.
Make your voice heard so we can make history again.
Yours in Music,
Published Empire Genius Music